The Building Owners and Managers Institute (BOMI) of Canada was founded in 1974, by members of the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) who recognized the need for quality education in the commercial property profession in Canada. Established to provide industry professionals with career-building education, BOMI Canada is a certified educational institute and a registered charity. It is led by a Board of Trustees and a dedicated staff. A rich history of commitment to our students, an education-focused mission, and a reputation for outstanding programs are just a few of the many reasons why BOMI Canada is the leader in commercial property and facility management/operations education in Canada.
For more than 40 years, BOMI’s educational content and select pool of professional instructors has ensured consistent, high-quality education and skill-enhancing learning opportunities. Since its inception, BOMI Canada has helped advance the careers of thousands of professionals through specialized courses leading to one of our designations:
- Real Property Administrator(RPA®); for property managers, as well as a enhanced RPA/HP;
- Facilities Management Administrator (FMA®) for facilities professionals, as well as a enhanced FMA/HP;
- Systems Maintenance Administrator (SMA®) for systems supervisors; and
- System Maintenance Technician (SMT®) for systems technicians.
In addition to the designations, BOMI also administers a series of certificate programs:
- High Performance (HP)
- Property Administrator Certificate (PAC);
- Building Systems Maintenance Certificate (SMC);
- Facilities Management Certificate (FMC); and
- Property Management Financial Proficiency Certificate (PMFP).
Course materials for the designation programs and certificates are produced in the United States by BOMI International. To ensure that these programs include appropriate Canadian content, BOMI Canada works closely with BOMI International, Canadian course developers and students. Each year, approximately 2,000 BOMI courses are taken by students in Canada. Those who choose BOMI come from all sectors and all levels of responsibility.
BOMI's education programs have achieved wide spread recognition throughout the property and facility management profession in both the public and private sectors. Many provincial government agencies choose BOMI as the education resource for their employees. Within the private sector, almost every major property and facilities management firm in the country has employees registered in BOMI programs.